Saturday, October 5, 2013

Little Child

In this morning's gospel reading ( Mt. 18) Jesus answers his disciples that those who become as a little child are the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.  I don't know that the need to become "great" motivates me as much as it once did. But the chance to share deeply in the life of the kingdom; Jesus' sharing of life with His Father in the Spirit, haunts me in the deepest of ways. Maybe the desire for greatness is a young man's desire?  My older desires (I'm in my 50's) are those of simplicity, individuation, wonder, kindness and goodness for those I love (and all really). 

I'm excited that the journey Jesus proposes is one towards becoming "like" a child. It is interesting that He seems to suggest that our aim is to be what we were before we started trying so hard to become. That greatness (whatever that means) might be that we just stop trying to become something and just be who He has always wanted and loved.  To do more playing, laughing and crying?    Could it really be this simple?  

www.pipelighters.net 

No comments:

Post a Comment