Sunday, May 26, 2013

Trinity Sunday

Today, in the liturgical calendar, is Trinity Sunday; where our prayers, readings and hymns emphasize the place of the doctrine of the Trinity in our faith.  The service, sermon, liturgy, prayers and readings were all very nice.  But to be honest, I really don't give a fig about the doctrine.  I'm not concerned with making sure I believe it right so that I measure up to any person, group or church's right way of believing or confessing.  There, I've said it, I don't care about the doctrine.

What I do care about is the reality of the Father, Son and Spirit and their loving activity in the life of the universe.  I yearn (I would use a stronger word than yearn if I could think of one) to have greater insight into the limitless pleasure in the Father's heart as He gazes upon His Son.  I would give away all that I have (which isn't much) to experience with the Son the confidence and sense of being He experiences when He hears the Father say to Him, "YOU are my beloved child in whom my soul delights", and just for moments to experience the mothering Spirit that enables both Father and Son to see each other as they really are.

I feel this way because it is the reality that is pressing its truth into life; we ARE the child in whom God's soul delights.  We are seen as we really are and loved and held close.  Woe to those who would tell us that God would love us IF; or God would accept us or forgive us or hear us IF we believed or repented or were baptized or did anything.  Before the foundation of the world we were chosen in Him to be whole and blameless before Him in love.  The last time I checked I couldn't do anything before I was born.  But God chose you and me to be His beloved child; loved, desired, accepted, forgiven and destined to grow into the dream that was in His heart and the desire that is in our own hearts, the person we most desperately want to be.

Actually, I do care about the doctrine.  But nearly as much as I care about you and me truly knowing the love of the Trinity being lavished upon us.

You are the child God has always wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment